The Diabetes Workgroup first met in April of 2016 and completed a "Talk to Action" exercise, where the following path was outlined (action items table below will be updated regularly as the work evolves):
The Result this group is working to achieve:
- Everyone in Buncombe County is able to prevent diabetes or better self-manage their diabetes.
- Diabetes prevalence
- Diabetes mortality rate (Note the significant disparity rate for Diabetes Mortality between African Americans and Whites. This disparity will continue to be a major focus of the CHIP work)
- Diabetes-related hospitalizations
- Diabetes-related Emergency Department visits
- Increase clinical referrals to community-based diabetes programs (reducing cost, transportation and other barriers and increasing social support as well as behavior change)
- Create more trust and cross-referral among existing diabetes prevention & management education programs (reduce sense of "competition")
- Create awareness and increase DEMAND for diabetes screening, testing, prevention and management among community members
- Build respectful structure for partnerships with community members with diabetes (especially African-American) so that initiatives of this group will meet stated needs of those most directly affected.